Sep 23, 2017
Our B.A. in Music is designed for students who want to major in music, but want a broad general liberal arts education rather than intense specialization in music. In addition to taking required music classes, you’ll have the freedom to pursue your individual interests, both in music and other disciplines.
The music courses within the B.A. in Music provide introductions to performance, teaching, composition, music technology and other music-related fields. The liberal arts foundation of the program provides strong multi-disciplinary background for many career paths. The degree is a good pathway to pursuing a fifth-year teaching certificate or a graduate degree.
Students desiring to pursue the B.A. in Music need to meet undergraduate admission requirements and follow the music admissions process. Acceptance is determined by music faculty and university admission staff.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Bachelor of Arts in Music will be able to:
- Demonstrate all the learning outcomes of the Marylhurst music core.
- In music electives, further explore various music disciplines such as composition, music technology and analysis.
- Synthesize the components of a musical liberal arts program into a public presentation that highlights the student’s fields of interest.
Summary of Degree Requirements
|Marylhurst Core Requirements
Note: Creative Arts satisfied within the major.
|Total credits required for degree
At least 21 credits of music coursework must be earned from Marylhurst University. Coursework with a grade less than C will not be applied toward any major requirement.
Performance in Ensembles - 13 credits
- ENS 2** Major Ensemble 1 cr. (taken for 6 terms)
- ENS 300 Small Ensemble 1 cr.
- ENS 4** Major Ensemble 1 cr. (taken for 6 terms)
Performance on Primary Instrument - 12 credits
- MUP 2** Applied Music 1, 1 cr. (taken for 6 terms)
- MUP 4** Applied Music 2, 1 cr. (taken for 6 terms)
Functional Keyboard Skills - 4 credits
Functional Vocal Skills - 2 credits
Musical Language and Analysis - 10 credits
Music History and Literature - 16 credits
Concert Attendance - 0 credits
Additional Requirements - 6 credits
Music Electives - 10 credits
Any music course may be used to meet this requirement.
Music Capstone - 1 credit
Total for the Major: 82 credits