Chair: Laura Beer, Ph.D., MT-BC
The Counseling & Creative Therapies Department offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees for students who want to serve and enrich their communities through therapeutic practice. We offer students the opportunity to work in a range of disciplinary practices, including art therapy and music therapy, and the spiritual disciplines of applied pastoral theology and divinity. Our students serve our communities by creating music and art for and with clients, offering musical performances to the community, and applying foundational learning of spiritual care, psychology and human studies.
The M.A. in Art Therapy Counseling is approved by the American Art Therapy Association and recognized by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as a source of continuing education for counselors. Marylhurst University has been approved by the NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 4465. Courses that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Marylhurst University is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
The music programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The Bachelor of Music Therapy is an approved member of the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA).
Retention of Student Work
The university reserves the right to photograph, use, display or reproduce for university publications work created by enrolled students. The music program reserves the right to record, use, broadcast or reproduce for university publications music performances, compositions and arrangements by students enrolled in its courses.
Credit Hours for Music Courses
The department generally awards credit according to the university’s published credit-hour definition; however, some music classes require an additional time commitment either in or outside of class.
- Courses in the Musical Language (MU 125/126/225/226/227) and Aural Skills (MU 135/136/235/236/237) sequences are offered for 2 credits and require 3 hours of class time per week plus 6 hours of work outside of class for a total of 90 hours of engagement per term.
- Courses in the Keyboard Skills (MU 150/151/250/251) sequence are offered for 1 credit and require 2 hours of class time per week plus 3 hours of work outside of class for a total of 50 hours of engagement per term.
- 1 credit of major ensemble (ENS 2**/4**) consist of 3.5 hours of class time per week, plus 1 hour of work outside of class per week, and 2 to 4 hours each term for public concerts, for a total of 48 hours of engagement for the term.
- 1 credit of community ensembles, that is those open to non-majors (ENS 1**) consist of 2 hours of class time per week, 30 minutes of work outside class per week, and 2 to 4 hours each term for public concerts, for a total of 28 hours of engagement for the term.
- 1 credit of private lessons (MUP ***) consist of 50 minutes of instruction plus a minimum of 4.5 hours of work outside these lessons, for a total of 55 hours of engagement for the term.
- 1 credit of music therapy practicum (MT 285/286/287/385/485) consists of 1 hour of class time/online engagement per week, 2 hours in the clinic per week, plus 3 hours of work outside of the classroom and clinic for a total of 60 hours of engagement for the term.
ProgramsUndergraduate MajorGraduate MajorUndergraduate MinorCertificates
CoursesArt Therapy - graduateArt Therapy - undergraduateArt Therapy - continuing educationHuman StudiesPage: 1